This easy Hot Apple Cider Recipe is an easy to make cold weather treat, it's like Christmas in a cup. And very easy to make! It's like a mulled cider, with apple juice steeped in spices. The aroma fills the entire house!
I love apple and cinnamon recipes, whether it's American Apple Pie or my easy Apple Turnovers, all are fall favorites! Come to think of it, this is like a hot apple pie drink! There is something heartwarming for me when I drink homemade hot apple cider with cinnamon quills and spices.
Is Hot Apple Cider Alcoholic?
Moving to Australia, the concept of Apple Cider here is different from the American Apple Cider. Like the Brits, Aussies usually drink Apple Cider as a cold alcoholic drink, made from apples. The concept of a non-alcoholic American style Hot Apple Cider recipe made from juice doesn't exist here. I usually freak people out when I tell them I am giving my children Apple Cider! This is a non-alcoholic apple cider recipe.
When it gets cold, drinking family friendly Hot Cider with cinnamon sticks reminds me of the Thanksgiving, Halloween or Christmas season. We used to buy instant hot cider mix at Costco, but as they don't import it here, so I've had to learn how to make it myself. It's so easy, I wonder why I bought the processed stuff before.
How to Make Hot Apple Cider
You don't need to go to Costco to buy your Hot Apple Cider, it's so easier and cheaper to make at home! All you need is a large pot, apple juice and cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.
Place the apple juice, cinnamon quills and spices into the pot and bring to a gentle simmer. It only take 10 minutes for the flavors to combine together. Don't skip the ground spices, as they infuse flavour better than the cinnamon stick alone. Finally, carefully strain the apple juice into a colander lined with a cheesecloth to remove the spices. I normally use cloudy Apple juice, but in the video, I bought regular clear Apple juice.
Apple Cider Recipe Tips
- try ¾ teaspoon of Pumpkin Pie Spice instead of the cinnamon and nutmeg
- make a bouquet garni for the spices to make it easier to take the spices out. The cider won't be as clear as straining through a cheesecloth
- to make alcoholic Hot Apple Cider, add some rum at the very end just before serving
- sweeten with a bit of brown sugar or caramel sauce
- for something different, add some Pear juice to your Apple Cider
- add a slice of orange and lemon into the pot for a citrus twist
- if doubling the recipe, you don't need to double the spices! Just allow to infuse for a bit longer until you're happy with the flavors
- you don't need to use cloudy apple juice, regular apple juice tastes great too!
So easy to make, all natural and healthier than store bought with unpronounceable ingredients - Easy Hot Apple Cider. It will warm you from the inside out, with a smile. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. At no cost to you, I will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase
Hot Apple Cider Made From Scratch (Video)
- ½ gallon /2 litres of cloudy apple juice
- 3-4 cinnamon sticks
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 6 cloves
- In a saucepan, bring all the ingredients to a boil, reduce and simmer for about ten minutes.
- Strain the apple cider through a colander lined with a cheesecloth before serving. Enjoy!