Mango season is in full swing, and I can't seem to resist buying a case of mangoes. This usually means we have about a dozen mangoes in the house, and ultimately means mango sauce time.
I seem to buy a mango called R2E2 Mango, which can weigh up to 1 kilo (2 pounds each)! R2E2 simply means Row 2 Experiment 2, from the governments mango research facility in Bowen, Queensland. R2E2 is the 3rd most popular mango sold in Australia, and is sought after for export markets. I love the giant size and the great flavour this mango gives, and it's non-fibrous or stringy like some varieties. R2E2 is NOT genetically modified, just has a funny name!
This mango sauce recipe is inspired by an amazing mango chili sauce we used to buy in Canada. I think it was Indian in origin, but I can't find it in Australia. My version is almost a hybrid sauce between mangoes and a sweet chili sauce. The passionfruit juice is completely optional. I have passionfruits growing in my yard, so it's easy to source for me. I like to think that they add a really subtle tropical-ness to the sauce, but don't sweat it if you don't have any! Just make sure there is no passionfruit seeds, as this will ruin the recipe.
How to Make Mango Chili Sauce
The mangoes I used weigh about 500 grams (1 lb) each, so if you are using smaller mangoes, you might need to use extra. If you want to keep the sauce looking more 'yellow' instead of orange, simply replace the red Thai chilis (Bird's Eye chilis) with spicy yellow chilis, like the Siam chili, and it will keep the sauce color more similar to a mango. If you use Habanero Chili Peppers, remember they are about twice as hot as the Thai Chili Peppers. Adjust recipe accordingly. You can also use frozen mangoes if fresh aren't available. Check the ripeness and sweetness of the mango, as green mangoes will need extra sugar in the mango sauce.
I love making dipping sauces like Sweet Chili Sauce or Easy Sriracha Mayo. This Sweet Mango Chilli Sauce recipe is awesome as a dip for chicken strips, shrimp, Vietnamese or Thai rolls, add to a stir fry or a salad dressing. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Sweet Mango Chili Sauce and Dip
- 4 red Thai chillis - roughly chopped seeds in
- 1 yellow capsicum bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 mangoes roughly chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- juice of 1 lime
- 4 tablespoons passionfruit juice optional
- Chop and deseed the chillis. You can decide on the amount of heat you want in your sauce by the amount of seeds you leave.
- In a saucepan, place all the ingredients, except the cornstarch, and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Using a stick blender, carefully blend the mango sauce until smooth and all lumps and chillis are blended. Remember it's very hot! Don't burn yourself!
- OPTIONAL - only if sauce is very runny. Return to heat and return to simmer. Take 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and mix with 2 tablespoons of cold water makeing a slurry. Add the corn starch slurry to the mango sauce and cook for a few minutes until it thickens.
- Place into a clean sterilised jar, allow to cool and keep refrigerated.