Vafli Wafer Cake with Caramel (Вафли) is super easy to make, and so caramel-y and sticky. It's known by several different names in Eastern Europe, Вафли, Oblandi, or Oblatne, depending on which country you're from possibly more names.
What are Vafli Waffles?
In Russian, Vafli (Вафли) literally translates into waffles, meaning the waffled layers of thin desert wafers. You can buy them at any Russian/Eastern European Deli. This definitely doesn't mean regular frozen Eggo Waffles, that definitely won't work!
Wafer Cake Variations
There are many variations of Vafli Wafer Cake (Вафли). It's up to you what flavors you want to add, here are some great layer ideas.
- Mix sweetened condensed milk with cocoa
- Sweetened condensed milk and caramel
- Caramel with Halva sprinkled between layers
- Sweetened condensed milk and jam
- Nutella and caramel
- Cook caramel with butter and lemon juice
- Chocolate and walnuts
If you can't find caramel, you can make your own Dulce de Leche or Caramel by boiling a can of sweetened condensed milk. Take a can of sweetened condensed milk, place unopened in a pan and fill with water until its completely covered. Boil and simmer for 2-3 hours, and it magically turns into caramel or Dulce de Leche. This is so delicious to eat on its own, I usually eat it with a spoon out of the can.
How to Make Wafer Cake
This is a super easy version of Vafli Wafer Cake to make. You only need 3 ingredients! The Wafer Cake Layers, Dulce de Leche Caramel, and Sweetened Condensed Milk! Spread a layer of Dulce de Leche on the first layer of Wafer Cake, and lay a Wafer layer on top. Spread a layer of Sweetened Condensed Milk on the next layer. Spread, layer and repeat. That's it!
The final step to making this Eastern European Waffle Cake is to apply something heavy on top of the layer cake. I place a cutting board over the entire wafer cake, with something heavy on top. This prevents the layers from spreading, and firmly setting them together. I keep the weight on for about an hour. Keep refrigerated and slice diagonally when serving.
So easy to make this recipe and deliciously sticky. A Slavic and Balkan favorite. An easy recipe you can make with your kids! Spread, layer, repeat, eat. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Vafli Wafer Cake with Caramel (Вафли)
- 1 package of European Waffle Wafers
- 1 Caramel/Dulce de Leche Spread
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk optional or you might need 2 jars of Caramel
- Spread a thin layer of Caramel Spread on a piece of waffle wafer. Make sure you go right to the edges. Layer it thick enough so that another waffle wafer will stick to it. Repeat. You can alternate the Caramel Spread with sweetened condensed milk.
- Keep layering the waffle wafers with the Caramel Spread and sweetened condensed milk until you are happy with the height. I usually go 8-10 high for thin round wafers, or I'll use 5 if I have the thicker rectangle wafers (sometimes they are hard to find).
- Using a cutting board, press down lightly applying even pressure on top of the Waffle Cake to bind the layers together. Weight it down with something heavy, like a mortar and pestle and allow to set for at least 1 hour. Refrigerate until you are ready to use.
- Cut the Waffle Wafer Cake (Вафли) into diagonal pieces and enjoy with a cup of tea.