This Classic Pumpkin Roll recipe with cream cheese is easier to make than it looks. It reminds me that it's almost Thanksgiving time and the countdown to Christmas has begun! It's like a Swiss Roll or Roulade made with pureed pumpkin and spices, generously slathered with vanilla bean cream cheese.
It's funny, moving down to Australia where the seasons are upside down, has me mixed up when it comes to holidays. It's currently springtime, flowers are blooming, the kids have just started swimming in the pool for the first time since winter. And now it's time to prepare for the Northern hemisphere wintery holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. The seasons still have me confused.
Canned Pumpkin or Fresh?
It is really hard to find canned pureed pumpkin here in Australia. Aussies usually eat pumpkin as a savory dish, and not a sweet dish. So canned pumpkins are out of the question. Whenever we need to make recipes that use canned pumpkin, we need to make it from scratch. It's super easy to peel and cube about 1 lb of pumpkin and boil for about 15 minutes until soft. Just drain and mash with a fork, it's that easy! There is no need to panic over a lack of pumpkin ingredients when you are outside of the States. Check out this recipe for homemade pumpkin puree recipe which has instructions for roasting pumpkins too. While canned pumpkin is easier, I think it's better to use fresh pumpkin, especially during pumpkin season!
How to make Pumpkin Roll
It sounds much scarier to make than it actually is. You need to have a jelly roll pan that's 10x15 inches. It needs to be greased with butter and dusted with flour before you pour the batter. You can also use parchment paper to line the baking pan.
After it's baked, there are a few different ways to roll up the thin pumpkin cake. The most common is to use a damp tea towel that's dusted with icing sugar (powdered sugar). Just tip over the baked cake onto the tea towel and roll it up tightly, allowing it too cool wrapped up. Some people use baking paper instead of a tea towel, but I have always used to traditional towel method.
Nothing screams holiday time for me better than Pumpkin Pie and the spices used to create the smell of Thanksgiving and Christmas. You don't need to buy Pumpkin Pie Spice, it's easy and cheaper to make at home. Check out my Pumpkin Pie Spice recipe, with nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and all spice. It works perfectly with this recipe.
Cream Cheese Frosting
I love using real vanilla bean when I can, but it's pricey to use all the time. I buy a vanilla bean paste in a small jar, where 1 teaspoon equals 1 vanilla pod, which is perfect for adding a deeper vanilla flavor to your dessert. You can use regular vanilla extract if you can't find the fancier vanilla bean paste. I always use Philadelphia Cream Cheese, and no, this isn't a sponsored post. I find that Philadelphia has the best flavor for cream cheese.
Making this Pumpkin Roll recipe is easy if you follow these instructions step by step, you can't go wrong. Plus it can be made in advance and freezes really well. Just freeze it wrapped up in plastic cling wrap. My final advice, make this recipe twice. One for you to enjoy and the other for your holiday guests. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Pumpkin Roll Recipe
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Damp Tea Towel dusted with ⅓ cup icing sugar
- 8 oz /250g block of Philadelphia Cream Cheese softened
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 190°/375°F and grease and flour a 10x15 inch jelly roll pan or a cookie sheet.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda and the pumpkin pie spice. Add in the pumpkin puree, eggs and lemon juice. Pour it into the greased pan, ensuring that the thickness is even across the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until it is golden brown and springs back when touched lightly.
- While cake is baking, prepare a clean damp tea towel by sprinkling ⅓ cup of icing sugar across the towel. When the cake is baked, turn the cake upside down on the damp prepared tea towel. Carefully roll up the towel with the cake inside into a roll and place on a baking rack to cool (about 30 minutes or until completely cool).
- Using a mixer, beat together the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla bean from a single vanilla pod, cut in half and scraped.
- When the cake has cooled, carefully unroll the cake and spread the vanilla bean cream cheese evenly across the cake. Make sure there is cream cheese in the starting curl, as this is the middle of our cake.
- Immediately re-roll the cake, without the towel and cover with cling wrap and refrigerate until you are ready to use.
- When you are ready to serve, Dust with icing sugar and slice to your desired thickness. Enjoy!