Lemon season continues at my house, which means it's time to make easy Lemon Curd recipe! I figure we have over 100 lemons of various shapes and sizes. Home grown lemons don't all look exactly the same as they do in the store. Some of my lemons were small and others have grown to the size of large mangoes. Regardless the size or colour, they still taste the same. So now I'm racking my brain to utilize my lemons.
Is Lemon Curd and Lemon Butter the same thing?
Lemon Curd is almost like a Lemon Jam. It's also called Lemon Butter, and it's delicious on fresh scones made with 7-UP or on toast. While camping, we put it inside a pie iron sandwich maker with a marshmallow for a lemon meringue pie iron treat. Lemon Curd or Lemon Butter is like a silky lemony custard, and easy to make. If you have an abundance of passionfruit, you can also make Passionfruit Curd.
How to make Lemon Curd from Scratch
Some lemon curd recipes just throw it all in the pot, other recipes use the microwave, some recipes curdle the ingredients together before cooking. My preference is to cream the eggs with the sugar first, then add the butter slowly over low heat. You have to watch the temperature so the eggs don't cook, then you have a weird lemon omelette. That happened to me once, I was distracted with the kids, walked away and had ribbons or egg though the curd. What a waste of effort!
How long will Lemon Curd last in the fridge?
I don't can my lemon curd to seal it, like a jam and don't recommend it. I usually keep it in fridge, and it usually lasts about 1 to 2 weeks long.
Is Lemon Curd the same as Lemon Meringue Pie filling?
It is very similar but made differently. Lemon Meringue Pie Filling is thickened by using corn starch, while a Lemon curd recipe is thickened naturally via pectin. Lemon Curd as a result is smoother and not so thick and starchy in comparison. You wouldn't put pie filling on your morning toast, the curd tastes much nicer! When we go camping, I make Lemon Meringue Pie Irons over the campfire, using Lemon Curd and Marshmallows.
So during lemon season, don't despair. I've never been let down by this Lemon Curd recipe. A full cup of lemon juice gives it a really sour lemon kick if you like it more sour. Otherwise stick to ⅔ cup of lemon juice for a sweeter taste. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Easy Lemon Curd Recipe
- 5 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 oz /125g butter cubed
- 4 unwaxed lemons juiced approx ⅔ cup of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons zest from lemons
- Whisk together the egg yolks and the sugar. Place in a saucepan on medium-low heat.
- Add the cubed butter and slowly heat until it melts, constantly stirring. Stir in the lemon zest.
- Add the lemon juice in a slow stream, constantly stirring using a whisk or spoon. Cook stirring constantly for about 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool. Lemon curd will thicken as it cools. Strain the lemon curd to remove lemon zest pieces (optional)
- Once cools, pour into sterilized jars and keep in refrigerator until ready to use.