This homemade Blue Cheese Dressing recipe is a delicious recipe that you can make at home very easily. Don't be scared of the Blue Cheese.
Apparently our taste buds are meant to regenerate every 7 years or so, which means our food preferences can change. I used to hate Blue Cheese salad dressing until I tried this recipe, it completely changed my mind! Blue cheese is an acquired taste, it's basically cheese with veins of blue mold. It's not an easy tasting salad dressing for some. For a sweeter dressing, try a homemade American style French Dressing.
Blue Cheese Salad Dressing without Buttermilk
Not all Blue Cheese Dressings are made with buttermilk. I find that buttermilk makes the dressing runnier, and I prefer a thicker Blue Cheese Dressing. You can add a bit of buttermilk if you like it runnier.
Are all Blue Cheeses the Same?
In Europe, Blue Cheeses are known by many names, depending on their country or region of origin. They are cheeses that all have a mold Penicillium added to them, veined with a blue-green streaks. There is also a strong odor which sometimes prevents people from trying this. Common proper names for Blue Cheese are; Roquefort, Danish Blue, Blue Stilton, Gorgonzola and Cabrales. All other cheeses are simply called a generic Blue Cheese. Some are mild and creamy, others are sharper and crumblier. Taste the Blue Cheese Dressing and add more according to taste.
When a recipe asks for a finely diced onions or dried onion powder, push fresh onions through a garlic press instead. Nobody like chunky bites of onion in a sauce and onion powder doesn't have enough flavor. Simply cut off a small teaspoon size of onion and press through! Save your chopping fingers and pack your recipe with flavor. Fresh is always tastier!
What To Use Blue Cheese Dressing With?
- Perfect Dressing for Cobb Salad
- Drizzle over a Baked Potato
- Dip Potato Wedges into Blue Cheese Dressing
- Serve alongside Deep Fried Pickles
- Let this creamy sauce cool down your spicy Buffalo Wings
This recipe is easy, has no unpronounceable ingredients, and can be whipped up in a few minutes with ingredients you have at home. Plus you get to control how much Bleu Cheese you want in your dressing. It actually doesn't really taste like store-bought dressing, it's much tastier!
After trying this Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing recipe, you'll never buy Kraft dressing again..... sorry Kraft. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing Recipe
- 1 cup of mayonnaise
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 4 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon of minced onion
- 1 teaspoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- Whisk all together except for the blue cheese. You can use an electric mixer, but I just used a fork and vigorously mixed together in a mason jar.
- Add 2 tablespoons of crumbled blue cheese and mix throughout. Taste. This creates a very mild version of the recipe. Add another 2 tablespoons and mix together. Add more to taste if required.
- Best to refrigerate for a few hours before use, but I usually can't wait and eat it right away!