What do you do with fresh figs during fig season? Usually figs seem to ripen all at once, and you need an easy recipe to use them all up! Roasted Figs with Honey is an easy fig dessert, served warm over vanilla ice cream, that is sure to impress. So let me start with the figs. I love them. Who knew?
Growing up in Canada, I don't think I saw a fresh fig. Ever. When I thought of figs, images of dried up, gross ones they sell on the bottom shelf of the continental section of a deli or grocery store, came to mind. As kids, mum tried to feed us dried figs to help keep us "regular and healthy". Cue Borat saying "Great Success!" or maybe not. If you didn't know, figs are very high in fibre, on par with prunes.
Moving to sunny Western Australia in a dry Mediterranean climate, planting a fig tree seemed like a good idea. Surprise! The beautiful colorful parrots, (the ones that we loved watching eat bird seeds in our backyard), completely stripped the fig tree bare of any figs! The following year I got smarter and bought nets to keep the birds at bay. After 2 years, I can say I've grown and eaten my own organic crop of figs. Figs ripen quickly and do not keep well in the fridge.
How to Roast Figs
In Greek mythology, figs were considered the fruit of the gods. Roasted Figs are so easy to make. It's such a tasty dessert. Simply split the figs, insert butter and drizzle with honey before roasting on a baking tray. That's it. Maybe place on baking paper to make cleaning up easier, and you're done! Serve over any ice cream flavor you like, but I love plain vanilla. So easy but kind of exotic as well.
There are many ways to serve figs. Some people serve them with mascarpone or with ricotta cheese. Others roast with balsamic vinegar, or with prosciutto. I prefer fresh figs as a dessert instead of a savory appetizer.
How to choose Figs
When choosing figs to use, look for figs that are clean and dry, and without broken skin. Over rip figs tend to split at the base, and sometimes you can find bugs inside. Avoid! Fresh figs should be soft to the touch. If your figs are firm, they are unripe and won't be tasty. Figs do not store very well. In a plastic bag, they keep in the fridge 2 days max! Figs are very delicate, best used on the same day that you buy or pick them.
An easy and delicious figs recipe the whole family will enjoy. The recipe measurements are per fig, to give you options on how many figs you want to bake. Serve your Roasted Figs with Honey over vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
Honey Roasted Figs (Video)
- 12 fresh figs
- ½ teaspoon of cold unsalted butter per fig
- 1 teaspoon of honey per fig
- vanilla bean ice cream
- Preheat oven to 375°F or 190°C
- Cut stems off the tops of the figs. Cut a cross in the fig and gently open it, . Be careful not to cut them all the way to the bottom, or spread too wide, or they will fall apart.
- Grease a pie pan or use baking paper. Place the figs stem side up in the pan.
- Cut ½ teaspoon squares of butter. Put butter pieces inside each fig, carefully so the fig does not fall apart.
- Drizzle 1 teaspoon of honey over the fig and butter.
- Bake for approx. 8-10 minutes, until the fig opens up.
- Serve with ice cream and drizzle with the caramelized fig butter sauce from the pie pan.