Russian Eggplant Caviar (Баклажанная икра) is a delicious appetizer, generously served on a piece of bread. It’s made from 100% vegetables, without any fish or fish eggs, and isn’t what people think of when they hear the word caviar.
It’s kind of hard to screw up this recipe, as there are many variations. I prefer a hand chopped more rustic chunkier texture. Others like to throw it all into the food processor. It’s ok to use 2 medium eggplants or a large red pepper, as you’re meant to use what you already have in your summer garden. It’s even great to ‘can’ it for eating in the winter.
Many cultures around the world have versions of eggplant dips of spreads. The Greeks have Melitzanosalata, the Middle East has Baba Ghanoush, and Caviar d’aubergine is popular in Southern France. Russian Eggplant Caviar (Баклажанная икра) is my favourite!
A classic Russian spread made from aubergines, carrot, pepper and tomatoes, like Baba Ganoush but tastier in my opinion! Perfect on a piece of bread or on a sandwich – Baklazhannaya Ikra or Poor Man’s Caviar. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 large eggplant or 2 small
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 small red pepper, diced in small pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tomatoes, skinless, peeled and diced
- vegetable oil
- salt to taste
- Dice the eggplant into small pieces. Add a generous teaspoon of salt to the diced and mix until the salt is mixed through. Allow to sit for about 30 mins. Squeeze out the excess bitter juices, drain and set aside.
- To remove the skin from tomatoes, place in boiling water for about 60 seconds, remove into ice water then peel skin. If peeling tomatoes is too hard, you can substitute with a can of diced tomatoes or 2 teaspoons of tomato paste.
- In a frying pan, add 2 tablespoons of oil and saute the onions and grated carrot until the onions are soft and the carrot is cooked. Add the diced red peppers and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook for about 7 minutes.
- Mix the minced garlic and chopped eggplant to vegetable mixture. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes, allow to cool. Taste and add salt if necessary.