Fried Eggplant Slices (Жареные баклажаны) is a simple and rustic dish from my childhood. We had a large backyard garden and we had rows of vegetables growing, including eggplants or aubergines.
Some people don’t know how to eat eggplant, a popular Russian eggplant dish is Eggplant Caviar which my mum would make, however I fondly remember these fried eggplant slices. Eggplant is very healthy to eat, full of vitamins, low GI, cholesterol free, low in carbs and calories. However frying them would definitely add calories!
There are many ways to eat Fried Eggplant Slices (Жареные баклажаны), some recipes add parmesan cheese and basil with bread crumbs or panko. Being Russian, we love dill and sour cream which add a great flavor boost to eggplant slices which can be viewed sometimes as bland. These taste best when served immediately. Simple rustic foods are usually best. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 eggplant
- 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup flour
- oil for frying
- ½ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- Slice eggplant into ¼ inch slices.
- Beat the eggs and salt together. Heat about 6 tablespoons oil in a frying pan until hot, to fry the eggplant in small batches.
- Dip the eggplant slices into the beaten eggs and shake off the excess. Then dip the egg dipped eggplant slice into the flour and shake off the excess. Add to the hot frying pan to cook. Flip and fry the eggplant slices until golden. Add more oil if needed. Salt to taste.
- Combine the sour cream and dill together to serve with the fried eggplant slices.