Cheesy Stuffed Pasta Shells (Conchiglioni Bolognese) is one of the many ways to enjoy Italian jumbo pasta shells, called Conchiglioni in Italian. It’s a classic baked pasta dish that’s easy to make, and full of flavor!
Really anything can be stuffed inside the jumbo Cheesy Stuffed Pasta Shells (Conchiglioni Bolognese), from cream cheese, to ricotta to meats and sausages. This recipe uses a basic bolognese recipe that incorporates some vegetables, like zucchini, carrot and red pepper. I think it’s always good to sneak in vegetables wherever you can, especially when feeding kids.
You can use store-bought pasta sauces when making the bolognese, however I prefer to use passata, which is uncooked pureed tomatoes and add the fresh herbs for flavor. Passata is my ‘go to’ pasta sauce base and is always in my pantry as it’s full of tomato goodness and I can create the flavors I like in my sauce.
I used store-bought pasta sauce as the base on which the Cheesy Stuffed Pasta Shells (Conchiglioni Bolognese) were placed on. You could use plain passata, however I prefer more flavor than plain unsalted tomatoes as the base. You could also cook extra bolognese meat sauce and use that as the base, or just put any extra meat sauce around the stuffed pasta shells.
You could say this dish is similar to lasagna, maybe just presented in a different way. Whatever your favorite way to make Cheesy Stuffed Pasta Shells (Conchiglioni Bolognese), it’s sure to be a family favorite. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 packet jumbo pasta shells (conchiglioni) 500g
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 small zucchini, finely diced
- 1 grated carrot
- 1 red pepper, finely diced
- 2lbs/1kg ground beef
- 1 jar passata (700 grms)
- 1 jar store-bought tomato pasta sauce
- ¼ cup fresh oregano, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh basil, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of grated mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- Cook the large pasta shells as per instructions and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the oil fry the onions and garlic until soft. Add the ground beef and cook until browned.
- Stir in the vegetables, chopped herbs and 1 jar of the passatta. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Fill the pasta shells generously with the ground beef mixture. Pour jar of store-bought tomato pasta sauce into the base of an oven proof dish. Neatly lay the stuffed pasta shells on top of the sauce, cover with mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Place in a preheated 350°F/180°C oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and meat is warmed through.