Honey Sesame Chicken was one of my favourite Chinese restaurant dishes when we lived in Canada. It’s a common dish at the Chinese buffet restaurants, sometimes called Sesame Chicken, which is one of my guilty pleasures.
The Asian restaurants in Australia have different types of Western Chinese foods than North America. I miss eating Honey Sesame Chicken, the Aussies really need to discover this delicious Chinese American dish!
This recipe is a basic Chinese fried battered meat recipe, tossed in a sauce. The longest part of this recipe is frying the meat in batches. Depending on how many pieces you fry, determines how many batches are required to get through the battered chicken. You don’t need a deep fryer, I always use a wok, but a saucepan will work too. You can substitute chicken breast instead of chicken thighs, but the thighs are juicier and more flavourful.
I suggest that the rice should be cooked and ready, before you toss the chicken in the honey mixture. It goes very quickly from this point, and you will be ready to eat very quickly. The longer the chicken is in the sauce, the soggier it gets. So be quick, toss and serve over the rice.
Honey Sesame Chicken is very delicious and easy to make. You don’t need Chinese takeout, this homemade recipe is healthier and without msg! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup corn starch
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cups water
- 500grams boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup honey
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon shoaling wine (Chinese cooking wine)
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 3 tablespoons water, separately
- 2 teaspoons roasted sesame seeds
- green onion to garnish
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, egg, salt and water until the lumps are gone. Add the chicken to the batter, mixing together so all the pieces are coated. Leave the chicken in the batter until you are ready to fry.
- In a wok or saucepan, add enough oil to fry. Should be at least 2 inches deep. Heat oil until hot. Slowly add the battered chicken, one piece at a time, to the hot wok and fry in batches. Don't allow the pieces to stick together while frying. Constantly turn the chicken with a slottled spoon or scoop, and fry until it turns golden brown. Remove from wok onto a paper towel lined plate. Repeat the process until the chicken is all cooked.
- In a bowl, mix together the honey, shoaxing wine, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil and water. Set aside. In a small bowl, mix together the cornstarch and water until it's a slurry. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok and quickly fry the chopped garlic, no more than 30 seconds. Add the honey sauce and heat until it bubbles. Add the cornstarch slurry and cook it for about 1-2 minutes, until it thickens
- Add the fried chicken pieces to the honey sauce and toss until fully coated. Serve immediately over rice. Sprinkle with roasted sesame seeds and chopped green onions.