Sweet Chili Roasted Pumpkin Seeds are one of the many ways to eat pumpkin seeds. There are so many flavour of pumpkin seeds. The most common one in the store is the plain salted roasted pumpkin seeds, but it’s so easy to make so many cool flavours.
Pumpkin Seeds are so healthy for you also, providing dietary fiber, niacin, iron, zinc, manganese, magnesium and more. They are also called Pepitas (pepita de calabaza), which is Spanish for ‘little squash seeds’ which are interchangeable with pumpkin seeds.
I remember fondly as a child, making our homemade pumpkin seeds, using our wood burning stove. In the autumn, during harvest time, it was cold enough to start the fireplace to heat the house. Mum would put the seeds on a baking sheet and place it on top of the fireplace to roast. We’d then eat them, except as a kid, I usually ate the entire seed.
It seems that flavoured pumpkin seeds aren’t readily available here in Australia, so it’s been great to make my own. I love spicy foods, so my homemade Sweet Chili Sauce worked perfectly or it’s available in any grocery store. Some people use Honey and Chili flakes, or even oil mixed with various spices to flavour pumpkin seeds. So many flavour combinations possible.
Need some pumpkin recipe ideas after you remove your pumpkin seeds? My favourite homemade pumpkin recipes are Sweet Roasted Pumpkin, Manti, Savoury Pumpkin Pie, Pumpkin Soup, and my favourite Pumpkin Roll with Cream Cheese. So the next time you buy a pumpkin, don’t throw the seeds out, try this Sweet Chili Roasted Pumpkin Seeds recipe instead. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- pumpkin seeds
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Sweet Chili Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 300°F/150C°
- Carefully deseed the pumpkin. Pull apart the flesh from the seeds and put the seeds into a colander. Wash the seeds until they are clean. Drain.
- Dry the seeds using a paper towel, or allow time to dry out.
- Place the pumpkin seeds on a baking sheet. Add the olive oil and Sweet Chilli Sauce and mix it together until full coated. Spread the pumpkin seeds evenly across the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, mixing every 10 minutes during the baking process. Bake until golden brown. There is a fine line between deep golden brown and burnt, due to the sugar content, be careful not to burn.
- Allow to cool and enjoy.