Easy Tom Kha Gai or Thai Coconut Chicken Soup is definitely one of the more famous Thai dishes. It’s a delicious spicy and sour soup made with all the Thai staples you would expect: lemongrass, fresh ginger, chilli, lime and coconut milk. It’s one of my wife’s favourite dishes, and this recipe is one we make often when we are in a hurry, but still need to feed the family a real nutritious meal.
This soup is adapted from an old Australian Women’s Weekly recipe in an cookbook we were given about 18 years ago. What I love about this Easy Tom Kha Gai (Thai Coconut Chicken Soup) recipe is how quick and easy it is to make. Every supermarket sells already cooked roasted chickens, which is the ‘easy’ part of this recipe.
I think it’s easier to shred a flavoured roast chicken, saving you time, instead of chopping raw chicken and frying it. As much as I prefer to make my stock from scratch, sometimes life happens and you need to make a meal in a hurry. Using stock from Campbell’s soup works great in a pinch, but homemade stock always tastes better.
I usually have most of these ingredients in the fridge, including fresh limes from my lime tree in my garden. Traditionally, Tom Kha Gai Soup has galangal root in it, which sometimes I have a hard time finding, and it’s definitely not in my fridge. Even without galangal, this Easy Tom Kha Gai recipe has amazing, authentic flavour. Cooking with 3 Thai chilli peppers can be too spicy for some, make sure you carefully de-seed them, and cut down to 1 or 2 chillis, if you need a kid-friendly soup.
This delicious and easy Tom Kha Gai (Thai Coconut Chicken Soup) with authentic flavours is perfect to make when you’re in a hurry, and makes a great exotic change from regular soups. (Unless you are Thai, then this is just a regular soup to you). Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass, finely chopped
- 3 teaspoons ginger, freshly grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 green Thai chillies, deseeded and chopped finely
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 cans of coconut milk (800ml)
- 4 cups of chicken stock (1 litre)
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated palm sugar (optional)
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 cups shredded chicken
- 3 green onions, sliced thinly
- ¼ cup lime juice
- zest of a lime
- 3 tablespoons fresh coriander/cilantro, coarsely chopped
- bean sprouts as garnish
- Heat oil in a large stockpot. Cook lemongrass, ginger, garlic, chilli, turmeric and cook for about 2 minutes until it start to be fragrant.
- Stir in the coconut milk, chicken stock, water, palm sugar and fish sauce. Bring to a boil then add the chicken. Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- When you are ready to serve, add green onions, lime juice, lime zest and coriander. Garnish with a handful of bean sprouts and coriander/cilantro.