Ice Cream Sandwiches were one of my favourite ice creams as a kid, and making them into a No Cool Whip Ice Cream Sandwich Cake is pure genius! This style of ice cream sandwich cake is all over Pinterest and the internet, so I have no idea of the origins, but it is really easy and yummy to make.
When we moved to Australia, ice cream sandwiches sold here were different from what I was used to. They were larger, sold individually, and almost a premium product. They are called a Giant Sandwich, Monaco Bar or a Maxibon. Now our 2 major supermarkets have come to the party and now sell my familiar multi pack ice cream sandwich, but they’ve added better flavours. I’ve seen Caramel, Honeycomb, Vanilla, Triple Chocolate ice cream sandwiches, and for this recipe, I’ve used Cookies and Cream (Oreo) Ice Cream Sandwiches.
Most of the versions of this recipe use Cool Whip, which we don’t sell in Australia. Don’t worry, it’s not really nice anyways, just chemicals that mimic whipped cream in a tub, using vegetable oil as the main ingredient. My No Cool Whip Ice Cream Sandwich Cake recipe just uses whipping cream and icing sugar, beat within an inch of it’s life.
The trickiest part of this recipe is that everything melts so quickly. Prepare your workspaces in advance, (including preparing freezer space), but keep everything in the freezer until the last minute. I even put the whipped cream in the freezer to keep it cold, when I wasn’t working it. I used a small cutting board as my base when I was making it, but using a loaf pan is best as it helps keep everything in shape, as it melts quickly and can shift sideways. You don’t have to wait the full 4 hours in the freezer, but if it’s not frozen through, when you cut it, the pieces squish together and it doesn’t look as nice on a plate.
This No Cool Whip Ice Cream Sandwich Cake recipe is easy to personalise to your favourite flavours by adding crushed Oreo cookies, or drizzle the icing with caramel or chocolate sauce. The hardest part was waiting for it to freeze before we could eat it. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 9 Oreo ice cream sandwiches
- 750ml whipping cream
- 3-4 heaped tablespoons icing sugar (or to taste)
- Using a beater, beat the whipping cream and sugar together until you have a thick whipped cream (the thicker the better).
- Lay some parchment paper on the dish/tray of your choice and lay a single lay or ice cream sandwiches.
- Cover the ice cream sandwiches with a thick layer with whipped cream.
- Top with another layer of icecream sandwiches and gently push down into place. Repeat process until you reach your desired height/shape.
- Top with final layer of whipped cream and freeze for 3-4 hours. Enjoy!