Scalloped potatoes are an ultimate comfort food, and the perfect accompaniment to roast meat, or really almost any main course. I was never a huge potato fan, but my wife has slowly spent nearly 20 years chipping away at that, and now I can say I like eating potatoes.
Potatoes have origins in what is modern day Peru and Bolivia, and found their way into England in the late 1500’s. Scalloped potatoes have their origins in French cuisine, which was called potatoes gratiné, or what we call potatoes au gratin or au gratin potatoes.
In Australia, it’s commonly called a potato bake. Other French variations included gratin dauphinois and gratin savoyard. All these potato recipes have differences, yet are similar to each other also (same-same but different). When Scalloped Potatoes are ready, they’re incredibly hot, and even if you let it cool for 10 minutes, it’s still almost too hot to eat (this give you time to plate the rest of your meal).
Well ladies and gentlemen, you heard it here first. I like potatoes. And it’s all thanks to my wife’s Scalloped Potatoes recipe. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 1kg (1lb) potatoes
- ⅓ cup butter
- 2 cups whipping cream
- ½ cup parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon mustard powder
- 1½ teaspoons nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat overn to 180°C/360°F. Lightly grease a 6x9 ovenproof pan.
- Wash the unpeeled potatoes and cut into thirds. Parboil for about 10 minutes. Strain the potatoes and allow to cool until you are able to handle them. Cut into about ½" round pieces. Layer the potatoes in the greased pan until all the potatoes are used up.
- Pour whipping cream into a jug and add parmesan cheese, garlic, mustard powder, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Whisk together to combine.
- Drizzle all the whipping cream mixture over the potatoes. Place pats of butter (or cubes) evenly on top of the potato mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are just tender. Remove foil and cook for about 15 more minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Serve immediately.