Pumpkin Roll with Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese is easier to make than it looks. It reminds me that it’s almost American Thanksgiving time and the countdown to Christmas has begun!
It’s funny, moving down to the southern hemisphere where the seasons are upside down, has mixed me up when it comes to holidays. It’s currently springtime, flowers are blooming, the kids have just started swimming in the pool for the first time since winter, and it’s time to prepare for wintery holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Nothing screams holiday time for me better than Pumpkin Pie and the spices used to create the smell of Thanksgiving and Christmas. Pumpkin Pie Spice is super easy to make. Australia doesn’t easily sell canned pureed pumpkin, so I had to puree my own pumpkin. It was super easy, peel and cube about 500g of pumpkin, boil for 25 minutes, drain and puree for about 1 cup of pumpkin. Easy and no need to panic over lack of ingredients.
I was commenting to a friend of mine about not finding the canned pumpkin here. She asked in a puzzled tone “why would you need to buy canned pumpkin? Just cut and boil it, how hard can it be”? Sigh, she was right, Captain Obvious, it wasn’t hard at all. I love how Aussies are absolutely no fuss, and I almost felt stupid to say I couldn’t boil pumpkin and needed to buy it in a can! So crisis averted, saved a fortune ordering in canned pumpkin, and the holiday season is saved!
I love using real vanilla bean when I can, but it can be pricey to use all the time. I buy a vanilla bean paste in a small jar, where 1 teaspoon equals 1 vanilla pod, which is perfect for adding a deeper vanilla flavour to your dessert. As I mentioned, I absolutely love this dessert, Pumpkin Roll with Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese is a winner.
The rolling of the cake sounds harder than it is, but if you follow these instructions step by step you can’t go wrong. And like I said, you’ll need to make 2 Pumpkin Roll with Vanilla Bean Cream Cheese and double the recipe, one for you to eat and one for your guests. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- Filling Ingredients:
- 250g block of Philadelphia Cream Cheese, softened
- ¼ cup butter softened
- 1 scraped vanilla bean pod or ½ - 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 190°/375°F and grease and flour a 9x13 inch jelly roll pan or a cookie sheet.
- In a bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking soda and the pumpkin pie spice. Add in the pumpkin puree, eggs and lemon juice. Pour it into the prepared pan, ensuring that the thickness is even across the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until it is golden brown and springs back when touched lightly.
- While cake is baking, prepare a clean damp tea towel by sprinkling ¼ cup of icing sugar across the towel. When the cake is baked, turn the cake upside down on the damp prepared tea towel. Carefully roll up the towel with the cake inside into a roll and place on a baking rack to cool (about 30 minutes or until completely cool).
- Using a mixer, beat together the cream cheese, butter, icing sugar and vanilla bean from a single vanilla pod, cut in half and scraped.
- When the cake has cooled, carefully unroll the cake and spread the vanilla bean cream cheese evenly across the cake. Make sure there is cream cheese in the starting curl, as this is the middle of our cake.
- Immediately re-roll the cake, without the towel and cover with cling wrap and refrigerate until you are ready to use.
- When you are ready to serve, Dust with icing sugar and slice to your desired thickness. Enjoy!