I love eating Spicy Perogy Pizza, loosed based from delicious potato Perogies. Depending on what part of the world you are from, you may have never heard of Perogies before, certainly not in a pizza form.
Perogies are a Canadian version of a Slavic dumpling, boiled and stuffed with potato, cheese and bacon, and served with sour cream and onions. There are many variations of these dumplings, in Russian, we called them Vareniki (вареники). Now pairing Perogies with Pizza are a match made in carb heaven, what could be wrong with that!
There are many copycat versions on the internet from Boston Pizza’s version. The secret of the spicy potatoes is boiling the potatoes in cayenne with the garlic and onion. You can use powdered onion and powdered garlic, but I think it’s better to use fresh. I use stoneware baking trays for making pizza and most things in the oven.
You can buy ready made pizza dough, or check out my easy bread maker pizza dough recipe. Just throw in all the ingredients, and it does all the hard work for you!
Spicy Perogy Pizza is not a meal that you should count carbs or calories, just ignore them, slather on the sour cream and enjoy! Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 4 large potatoes sliced thin
- fresh pizza dough
- 1 cup white cheddar grated
- 2 cups mozzarella grated
- 2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 300 grams bacon sliced and cooked
- 3 chopped green onions to garnish
- serve with sour cream
- Make the pizza dough as per directions, or buy pizza dough. Preheat oven to 200°C/400°F
- Boil the potatoes in a saucepan, in enough water to just cover the potatoes. Add the onion, garlic and spices to the water and stir. Boil for approx 10 minutes until potatoes are cooked, but not mushy. Do not overcook. Drain the water from the potatoes and allow to cool on a plate.*
- Roll the dough in your pizza pan to your desired shape.
- Spread the sour cream evenly on the pizza crust.
- Lay the spicy potatoes slices, slightly overlapping each other until the entire pizza is covered and no sour cream is showing. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cheddar cheese and mozzarella evenly across the potatoes.
- Add the bacon pieces on top of the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes until cheese is golden. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and serve with sour cream.