Creamy Asian Coleslaw with Cilantro is perfect as the weather heats up. Summertime brings friends and family together at picnics, bbq’s, and potlucks. Usually you’re asked to bring something to these events, and it’s really hit and miss with dishes the people bring.
Coleslaw is a dish with many variations. I think the worst coleslaw offender has raisins and apples in it. I suppose it’s all a matter of personal taste, but I can’t imagine how anybody thought those flavours would taste good together!
I like coleslaw to at least resemble coleslaw, which means no mandarins or soy sauce. Which brings me to my Oriental inspired Creamy Asian Coleslaw. I think the hero of this dish is the cilantro (coriander). Now depending on where you live determines what you call it. Most of the world call it coriander leaves, fresh coriander or Chinese parsley. In North America, it’s called cilantro, which is Spanish for coriander.
As a kid growing up in Canada, I remember the word coriander, but then new trendy restaurants popped up with their fancy, trendy foods with ‘cilantro’. And there we have a new norm. Except in Australia, it’s still called coriander.
Back to your upcoming bbq, picnic, potluck season. If you get tired of making and eating the same-same coleslaws (you know who you are), give this recipe a try. It still has the creamy, tasty coleslaw dressing we all love, but with a difference.
Using Napa cabbage instead of regular cabbage provides a nice crunchy texture. Adding cilantro with the flavourful stems, adds more Asian twist, but somehow maintains the familiarity of coleslaw.
Quick. Easy. Delicious. May your summer be raisin and apple free. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- Coleslaw Ingredients
- 1 small Napa* cabbage shredded (approx 8 cups)
- 2 carrots grated
- 2 spring onions sliced
- 2 large cilantro (coriander) pieces with roots attached
- Creamy Coleslaw Dressing Ingredients
- ½ cup regular mayonnaise
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2½ tablespoons of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1½ tablespoons of white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ⅛ teaspoon of black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon of celery seeds
- Slice the Napa Cabbage in half, cut into thirds lengthways then shred into small bite size pieces
- Cut roots off the cilantro and chop into small pieces, from stems to leaves.
- In a large bowl, combine Napa cabbage, carrots, spring onions, cilantro and mix.
- Using a fork, mix together mayonnaise, sugar, milk, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, and celery seeds until smooth.
- Add dressing to cabbage mixture and gently toss to combine together. Refrigerate before serving.