This Easy Spice Cookies Recipe is one of my favourite recipes I remember baking from my childhood. This delicious cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger recipe has similar flavours to Speculaas cookies, but aren’t a shortbread and are more chewier. And without molasses, they are easier to make with fewer ingredients, but more spice flavour!
As a kid, there are only a few varieties of fresh baked cookies I remember, or liked. Mum had her Russian Honey Pryaniki, they resembled hard little hockey pucks but were so good, and her Russian Sugar Cookies. My sister made Tat made this Easy Spice Cookies Recipe and my sister Alla made her giant Monster Cookies. Everyone had their favourites.
Most cookie recipes are completely filled with sugars and aren’t remotely healthy, but that’s not the point of cookies is it? Especially delicious when they are freshly made, hot out of the oven, with a glass of cold milk. Perfect.
This Easy Spice Cookie recipe never lasts long at my house. There’s something comforting about the smell of fresh baked cookies, especially with cinnamon and nutmeg wafting through the air. Bon Appetit! Приятного аппетита!
- 2 cups of brown sugar (about 450 grams)
- 2 cups of white sugar
- 4 ½ cups of flour
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups of soft butter or margarine
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon all spice
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 180°C/350°F
- Using and electric mixer, Cream margarine together with eggs, gradually adding white sugar and brown sugar, until light and fluffy. (about 5 minutes)
- Put the remaining dry ingredients together in a large bowl, and combine together until spices are fully mixed with the flour.
- Pour the margarine mixture into the flour mixture and stir together until fully mixed and resembling a sticky cookie dough.
- Using 2 teaspoons together, place a small teaspoon size amount of cookie dough on a greased cookie tray. I use Pampered Chef, so it's already pre-seasoned. The cookie will melt and spread thin as it cooks, so allow wide spaces between on the tray. I usually get 6 cookies per tray, can get 8 sometimes, but then the cookies butt into each other.
- Bake for approx 10-12 minutes until lightly golden. If the cookie is too big in size, the centre of the cookie will be raw and will need more time in the oven.
- Remove from oven and cool for 2 minutes on the baking tray. Remove cookies on a baking rack using a metal cookie lifter.